Introducing http://www.opkg.org

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Sun Oct 12 20:07:54 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 08:26:56PM +0300, Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
> So now we can install stuff from OPKG (ssh to your phone and then copy
> the link from opkg.org and then opkg install
> http://www.opkg.org/asdasdasdasdasd.ipk) or from the community repo
> (opkg install asdasdasd)
>
> At the moment I don't see these connected. On Freerunner I can't see
> me going to okpg.org to search for new cool software and then click
> the link on the mobile browser to download the file and then use CLI
> or some graphical installer tool (is there any around?). I don't even
> know if the browsers support downloading..
>
> I think it's great that opkg.org gives the applications more
> visibility: user doesn't have to see previous releases, number of svn
> revisions for this release and so on. Find the software you want,
> click and install is what's needed.
>
> So to make this useful on Freerunner (not only desktop)
>
> we need a web browser that's able to open .ipk links with an installer
> or
> the .ipk files in opkg.org are useless and people install stuff from
> community repos (unless there will be an opkg repository)
>
> What do you think?

If you want "viruses" sure, yeah, go ahead :)

The packages would better be installable only if signed by a key the
user has installed himself (by default, of course, OM's repo key should
be included).

Like Debian and Fedora do, for instance...

Rui

--

Today is Setting Orange, the 66th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?