Which mailing list to use?

digger vermont dv_mlist at verizon.net
Sun Oct 12 23:52:28 CEST 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 13:18 +1030, Rod Whitby wrote:
> Joel Newkirk wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 07:35:12 +1030, Rod Whitby <rod at whitby.id.au> wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone who has the mindset of "this is broken, how can I fix it?" is a
> >> developer.
> >>
> >> Anyone who has the mindset of "this is broken, I expect it to be fixed
> >> by someone else right now!" is a user.

> > WRT your final point, we already have the 'Support' mailinglist - my
> > impression is that the intent of that list (not necessarily the actual
> > usage though) is as a place for the 'user' to go when seeking answers and
> > fixes, rather than seeking to involve themselves in the actual quest for
> > those answers and fixes.
>
> Indeed, the trouble is there is a third list "community" which muddies
> the waters between "devel" and "support", and the five word descriptions
> on lists.openmoko.org don't give people enough guidance on which list to
> use for what.  Nor is there a community manager who is consistently and
> politely but firmly requiring people to use the correct lists ...

Boy, that says it.  Many times I've hesitated with a question unsure of
the right place, "devel", "community", or "support.  I finally took a
look and found this,
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Development_resources#Mailing_Lists
Even with that I'll probably wonder if what I have to say or ask is
"okay" for the "devel" list.  When unsure I've opted for "community"

Is there a way to make simple even for me? Something like this for a
start?

Support:   I have a problem please fix it.
           I have a problem help me fix it.

Devel:     I have a problem how can I help fix it.
           I'm working on this how do I ...
           I've made progress with ...
           I've solved this ...

Community: I have a dream.