Example of community manager job role Was: Re: FBReader now working on the FreeRunner

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Oct 13 11:28:35 CEST 2008

On 12 Oct 2008, at 20:55, Rod Whitby wrote:
> If Openmoko had a community manager, that person would contact
> Michael directly and:
> 1) Invite Michael to get commit privs and commit this patch himself
> directly to the OM repo.  This may include teaching about how it all
> works.

Is it possible to give Michael commit privs for only this package,
though? One surely wouldn't want to give them to a community member on
the basis of a single GUI app and later find he has b0rked the whole
kernel tree.

I know that my own favourite distro (Gentoo) has some kind of formal
scheme to test the qualities of potential developers and introduce
them to full developership. Such a set of formalities may bring its
own disadvantages, however.

Stroller.