[Om2008.9] Using Freerunner as a digital audio player

Dan Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Mon Oct 13 11:06:19 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 10:45 AM, Xavier Cremaschi
<omega.xavier at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> yesterday I tried to use qtopia-phone-x11-mediaplayer and some ogg/mp3
> files to transform the FR into a digital audio player.
>
> I have encountered 3 software problems :

<snip, cannot comment on the two first>
> 3. software relies upon tags, which I do not use at all. I have a
> precise filesystem scheme and no need of tag-based players trying to
> sort my music. Is there a way of telling the thing to stop trying to be
> smart ? I need a dumb soft here ;)

  Surely a program which grabs the information from your well-designed
file system schema would work for you here? The trick is, doing it in
this manner (that is, with tags) makes sure you have processing power
left over when browsing the music, as all the tags are cached in a
high-performance database. It also gives you the advantage of being
able to find tracks directly by artist or by album or by... you get
the idea, i'm sure :) While your filesystem is optimal for a single
path through the music, the method used in the qt mediaplayer makes
sure that the information is accessible through a number of different
paths. So... give tags a shot before you discard their usefulness ;)

> qtopia-phone-x11-mediaplayer seems totally usable with fingers, and
> that's the big motivation for me to use it.

  On a related topic, the media player designed by the Qt people is
rather simplistic, and while it works quite well, the Amarok team is
working on a new player based on the technologies in Amarok 2 - what
that means is that you'll be able to do all sorts of interesting
things... This is again all tags based stuff, so may well not be what
you want, but as general information for other people ;)

..leinir