Editing text files

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 16:18:26 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Stefan Monnier <monnier at iro.umontreal.ca>wrote:

> <stargazer.dave-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gman> Back up the 89qtopia
> before updating wholesale, and replace it when the
> > keyboards fail.  Less pain, more gain.
>
> I have no idea what you're talking about.  What "wholesale" update are
> you referring to?  What failure of keyboards?  What do you gain?
> Could you expand a little for me poor novice here?
>

> What I meant was that after you install illume-config-illume and set up the
new keyboards [1], you should back up your 89qtopia file from
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/

When you go for opkg update && upgrade, and if that upgrades illume for you,
it could result into your new keyboards disappearing.

Doing things mentioned here [2] to install a good utility for gprs etc. and
then updating the system may also undo some modifications, so backing up
89qtopia after [2] is a good idea.  You can have the qpe process disappear,
and the dialers, messaging etc. fail after updates.

It will help you rescue the setup when you restore it.  You will gain more
insights with actual experience.

[1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Keyboard_Debate
[2]
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Manually_using_GPRS#Option_1:_With_GSM_multiplexing_and_with_a_GUI