[FSO] GPRS

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Mon Oct 13 18:07:25 CEST 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:53:33 +0200, Fredrik Wendt <fredrik at wendt.se> wrote:
> lör 2008-10-11 klockan 19:06 -0400 skrev Joel Newkirk:
>> I successfully followed the process outlined at
>> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GPRS_FSO and got GPRS working through
>> T-Mobile.  (internet3.voicestream.com)  (this is on Raster+FSO)
>>
>> But there's a few things...[snip]
>>
>> I understood from previous discussions on the mailinglist that this is
> the
>> nature of the beast, that we won't get GPRS working DURING a GSM call -
> at
>> least not with this GSM hardware.  Is that correct or not?  (I'd dearly
>> love to be able to push a few packets when an incoming call starts
> ringing
>> through - callerid name lookups)  The muxer lets us keep both
> connections
>> configured, but GSM voice trumps GPRS data in an XOR.
>
> Sounds like this won't be resolved ever for phones with this GSM chipset
> (Calypso in my case)? That really sucks and really breaks one of my
> intended use cases (not that anyone *should* care, really).
>
> Using the OpenMoko thing as a conference phone _and_ internet gateway at
> the same time hence is not possible? (Unless you do VOIP for phone
> conferencing.)
>
> /
> 	Fredrik

On your first question, I couldn't say if the cause is something inherent
in GSM+GPRS, a chipset limitation, something that could be addressed in its
firmware, or simply gsm software support.  Hopefully one of the latter two,
right? :)

As to the second, yes that's pretty much the situation.  As I understand
it, there are also limitations on simultaneous use of GSM and Wifi as well
as Wifi and Bluetooth.  (not inability, just limits)

If you're sitting on a solid internet connection, IMHO VOIP would be better
anyway.  :)