Default OM settings, no lan messed up

Rodney Myers rdmyers at mtpalomar.net
Mon Oct 13 20:04:34 CEST 2008

On Oct 13, 2008, at 10:36 AM, Joel Newkirk wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:10:28 -0700, Rodney Myers <rdmyers at mtpalomar.net
> >
> wrote:
>> OS = OS X 10.5.5
>>
>> I received my OM this past week. Took some time to locate an ATT sim
>> card that would work.
>>
>> Yesterday, I was able to follow the instructions at;
>>
>> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/MacOS_X
>>
>> ,and using the link;
>>
>> http://downloads.openmoko.org/releases/Om2008.9
>>
>> grabbing the rootfs of Om2008.9-gta02-20080916.rootfs.jffs2
>>
>> to flash the phone. Once flashed, I noticed there was no console icon
>> anymore
>>
>> I was able to SSH into the OM. Once I did that, I edited & changed
>> the /etc/network/interfaces file to reflect "my" lan.
>>
>> 192.168.1.***
>>
>> Before I logged out, I catted the file to make sure that I had
>> correctly set that file. It all looked correct
>>
>> I then logged out of the phone & restarted the phone, thinking I now
>> would be able to ssh, without jumping through hoops.
>>
>> No such luck.
>>
>> Now, the IP address is neither the default nor anything on the
>> 192.168.1.*** network..
>>
>> Any help in getting the phone functioning again, would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Many thanks
>
> What is the full IP, gateway, and subnet mask you set on the
> FreeRunner,
> and on the USB network interface on your host?  Does it overlap the
> subnet
> on any other interface on the host?

> If you are able to set up a packet sniffer on USB network device on
> the
> host, try tapping 'installer' on the FR and see what IP the connection
> attempt comes from.

I "thought" i had it setup this way

	address 192.168.1.20
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.1.0
	broadcast 192.168.1.255
	gateway 192.168.1.101  (my MBP)

My home lan is using 192.168.1.*** range.

No idea on how to sniff packets, at this time.

When I click on the "installer" it pops up a message;

ERROR:
Cannot access *****. Please check your network

When I plug the OM into the computer, it does show the MAC address, in
dmesg;

net_lucid_cake_driver_AJZaurusUSB: Ethernet address 40:00:ff:f7:87:5c