[Om2008.9] Using Freerunner as a digital audio player

Thomas Köckerbauer tkoeck at gup.jku.at
Tue Oct 14 21:53:33 CEST 2008

I was also searching for an audioplayer meeting my requirements (which are
quite basic), but none of those I found really fullfilled them. So I started
to make a new one, which is not really finished yet (I wanted to make it a
bit more complete before I announce it, but I thought it might fit to the
discussion). I did not invest a lot of time because I did not find a working
headset to 3,5mm plug adapter yet (now I'm planing to build one myself), but
since I read now that the audio quality should be that good I have to admit
that I got a bit dismotivated.

If somebody is interested it looks like this:

http://www.gup.jku.at/~tkoeck/audioplayer/audioplayer1.png
http://www.gup.jku.at/~tkoeck/audioplayer/audioplayer2.png
http://www.gup.jku.at/~tkoeck/audioplayer/audioplayer3.png
http://www.gup.jku.at/~tkoeck/audioplayer/audioplayer4.png

The source can be found here (be warned its a bit of a hack right now):
http://www.gup.jku.at/~tkoeck/audioplayer/audioplayer.tar.gz

You have to place the binary and the edj file into the same directory (the edj
file has to be in the working directory) and start it with:
audioplayer <music-root-dir>

It uses libmad and requires about 15% cpu for decoding an average mp3 file.
I'm thinking about to remove libmad and making a gui plugin for mplayer from
it, which would support more file formats (but from what I've seen in the
mplayer source this would be quite some work).

Comments and contributions are welcome :)