[Om2008.9] Using Freerunner as a digital audio player

Dylan Reilly dreilly at atariland.net
Tue Oct 14 23:41:55 CEST 2008

FWIW, the qtopia media player in the testing branch is vastly better
than it was. Volume control even works now without causing distortion!

>From my observations, the audio quality issue has been due to CPU load
and not the player itself. Even in fairly recent builds, the poor
freerunner was pushing very high loads and causing the media player to
mess up it's decoding. Try ensuring that only the media player is
taking CPU time when playing music.

I am neurotic about good sounding audio, and I love the FR, even with
headphones. I was just now comparing it to an iPhone and prefer it.
You do need to tweak the mixer settings, however. Some of them are
offensive to the ears.

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Thomas Köckerbauer <tkoeck at gup.jku.at> wrote:
> I was also searching for an audioplayer meeting my requirements (which are
> quite basic), but none of those I found really fullfilled them. So I started
> to make a new one, which is not really finished yet (I wanted to make it a
> bit more complete before I announce it, but I thought it might fit to the
> discussion). I did not invest a lot of time because I did not find a working
> headset to 3,5mm plug adapter yet (now I'm planing to build one myself), but
> since I read now that the audio quality should be that good I have to admit
> that I got a bit dismotivated.
>
> If somebody is interested it looks like this:
>
> http://www.gup.jku.at/~tkoeck/audioplayer/audioplayer1.png
> http://www.gup.jku.at/~tkoeck/audioplayer/audioplayer2.png
> http://www.gup.jku.at/~tkoeck/audioplayer/audioplayer3.png
> http://www.gup.jku.at/~tkoeck/audioplayer/audioplayer4.png
>
> The source can be found here (be warned its a bit of a hack right now):
> http://www.gup.jku.at/~tkoeck/audioplayer/audioplayer.tar.gz
>
> You have to place the binary and the edj file into the same directory (the edj
> file has to be in the working directory) and start it with:
> audioplayer <music-root-dir>
>
> It uses libmad and requires about 15% cpu for decoding an average mp3 file.
> I'm thinking about to remove libmad and making a gui plugin for mplayer from
> it, which would support more file formats (but from what I've seen in the
> mplayer source this would be quite some work).
>
> Comments and contributions are welcome :)
>

> Am Tuesday 14 October 2008 20:42:32 schrieb Clemens Kirchgatterer:
>> Xavier Cremaschi <omega.xavier at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I just want a single view named "Folders" (which would be a file
>> > explorer) instead of the existing "Albums", "Artists", "Genre".
>> >
>> > I totally understand that a tag-based player could be interesting for
>> > some people, but I *know* where my files are in my collection.
>>
>> FULL ACK!
>>
>> i allways find it strange if i can't make a playlist by simply
>> selecting a directory from the filebrowser view.
>>
>> clemens

Dylan Maxwell Reilly