Default OM settings, no lan messed up

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Wed Oct 15 04:13:49 CEST 2008

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:44:34 -0700, Rodney Myers <rdmyers at mtpalomar.net>
wrote:
> On Oct 14, 2008, at 7:40 AM, Rodney Myers wrote:
>
>> How does the default WIFI  work with open/free wifi access?
>>
>> Would I be able to get connected to the internet with a wifi router
>> that has dhcp working?
>>
>> I'd really like to get the OM functioning.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> I just attempted to log onto a wide open wifi router. It did not go.
>
> Anything else I can try, to get the OM working?

Put the following into "etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf" (and below
that edit "/etc/network/interfaces")and try "ifup eth0" manually:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
# home:
network={
       ssid="NEWKIRK"
       proto=WPA
       key_mgmt=WPA-PSK

psk=118a8aa1abfc236ebb4df06e891172ccef6c72c7db0ad5540b7f4c77858378d4
       priority=50
}

# Open:
network={
     ssid="any"
     key_mgmt=NONE
     priority=5
}

And alter /etc/network/interfaces to have the following:
iface eth0 inet dhcp
    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

(I left my own network in there as an example of working WPA to a Netgear
router - I had repeated issues with it until I used the hex key instead of
text - and yes, that's actually the right key: I wouldn't refuse any
Freerunner owner who wanted to leech my broadband, if they happened to be
down the dead-end road to my house ;)

The higher priority numbers are used first if multiples match, IE at home I
can see an unsecured network from next door, but it will always connect to
my AP.  Elsewhere it will connect to whatever unsecure AP is reachable.
(In actual practice I've got three other APs defined as well, both secure
and not)