Openmoko to shift to 2.6.27 kernel ?

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Wed Oct 15 07:32:32 CEST 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 07:05:59 +0200, "Marco Trevisan (Treviño)"
<mail at 3v1n0.net> wrote:
> Joel Newkirk wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:03:53 +1100, "Sarton O'Brien"
>> <roguemoko at roguewrt.org> wrote:
>> I'm guessing with the current scenario, invoking a generic boot from nor
>>> means
>>> you lose any benefits of an updated u-boot/qi in nand? As in you may
> see
>>> power
>>> management regressions and the like?
>>>
>>> Sarton
>>
>> Correct.  NOR U-Boot only supports SD booting off FAT+EXT3, for example
> -
>> if the kernel isn't in a FAT/VFAT partition it barfs.  (though
>> interestingly it should be possible to boot the same distro off SD with
>> either of two kernels - Qi looking for /boot/uImage.bin and NOR UBoot
>> looking for a uImage file in the root of a FAT partition)
>
> Isn't there a way to update/configure the NOR u-Boot too?

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Flashing_NOR

The NOR image sample there is a broken link now.  I'm presuming that it's
NOT just the same u-boot bin as is flashed to NAND either, so it looks like
doing this is possible but not simple, and most of us wouldn't be equipped
to do it.  (lacking debug board to enable write mode)