Accelsense.org (accelerometer-based gestures)

Vasco Névoa vasco.nevoa at sapo.pt
Wed Oct 15 11:50:52 CEST 2008

Hi Paul.
Your tenacity is indeed an example. Congratulations on the fusion of
your academic and hacking lives! :)
I don't want to burden you even more, but I'd like to remind you of a
couple of details that may turn out to be important in the long run.
One thing I would like to see come true is the implementation of an
accelerometer framework that is flexible enough to accommodate all
kinds of usage, not just gestures, and you are basically sitting on it
(horay!!!). :)
Examples:
1 - human gestures;
2 - seismic vibrations (distributed earth quake detection), see [1];
3 - travel "dead reckoning", whether of humans, human-powered
vehicles, or motorized vehicles;
4 - road comfort level and trail quality level assessment (Z-axis
vibration for geo map tagging);
5 - morse tapping (for awkward emergencies, you never know...);
6 - anything else you may think of in the future...

My point is, please at least _try_ to include in your design some kind
of easily extensible framework, possibly allowing dynamic plugins or
at least compile-in modules, and package your specific gestures work
as the first modules. And obviously, the ability to support multiple
kinds of listener clients at the same time. I know it is a lot to ask,
but I think it is very well worth it.
The future community will thank you very much! :)

Happy hacking!!!  :D

[1]
http://n2.nabble.com/Idea-for-Openmoko-application%3A-seismic-sensor-network-tp1106366p1106366.html

Vasco.