Why kdrive ?

Abelenda diego.abelenda at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 17:09:52 CEST 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:29:38 +0100
Graeme Gregory <graeme at openmoko.org> wrote:

> > Ok, I may have mangled the history a little here, but this is the
> > basics I hope.
> >
> > When we first started on this kdrive/tinyX was the playground for
> > new features within the xorg/xf86 family. xorg didn't support
> > touchscreens, or a configless running. The lack of these features
> > was a killer because making a user construct an xorg.conf on device
> > was a pain. kdrive also had the RENDER extension so people could
> > play with shinies.
> >
> > Xglamo was then created in the kdrive family.
> >
> > Now OM is going to invest some time in investigating if Xorg or
> > Kdrive is the best path forward in the future. Xorg has acheived
> > some level of configless running. Has touchscreen drivers. And the
> > shinies extensions. It is being used on other embedded boards built
> > from OE as well.
> >
> > Graeme

Makes sense at that time.

Nowadays kdrive doesn't seems to be a solution if I refer the the
thread in the Xorg MailingList. ^^

It appears that kdrive rendering method KAA has been removed because
EXA is much better.

Well, in the case of openmoko, this would mean changing the driver for
it to work with xorg. (nearly coding a new driver). On the other hand
this would mean a modular X server, with graphic drivers loaded as
needed, which means broader support without having to compile a X
server per device (as kdrive is compile time configuration). That would
correct some bugs I saw about keyboards not recognized by Xglamo and so
on.

Anyway seriously thinking about migrating to Xorg is not a bad idea
itself but would mean a lot of work from openmoko because the community
cannot help without the specs... too bad...