UMA anyone?

Sébastien Lorquet squalyl at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 12:33:23 CEST 2008

Hi,

The answer is no, at least as long as Openmoko's phones use the current TI
Calypso modem.
This is because UMA requires hacking in the GSM firmware itself.
But the firmware has to be certified and will never be open source so that
it can be modified.
The only possibility would be to get a GSM firmware and hardware that
support a way of "hooking" so that the appropriate software can be
implemented in the modem.
Also, UMA authentication requires running the GSM A3/A5/A8/cant-remember in
the sim, and this facility is not provided by the AT sim commands in the
modem.
Outside the modem, it's only a matter of IKE and IPSec.

(Yes, I did my master degree internship on UMA, and I investigated how to do
it on Openmoko ;) )

SL