Back to the basics: improving user experience

Vasco Névoa vasco.nevoa at sapo.pt
Thu Oct 16 12:39:54 CEST 2008

An important note to the people who are experiencing all-round instability:
I haven't had many problems with phone calls or SMS. I believe the
critical point was to disable QPE's file search upon bootup [1].
Before I did that, I had all kinds of mysterious problems (including
PIN), derived from the fact that the Neo's CPU was starving for
cycles. To make matters worse, it would suspend before the indexing
job was done, and so the Neo would not have enough CPU power to
correctly process incoming calls and messages when it resumed. After
disabling that QPE stuff, it basically works.
[1]: http://n2.nabble.com/No-pin-dialog--qpe-tp685679p685679.html

Citando John Lee <john_lee at openmoko.com>:

> What do you want us to work on?

Prioritized:
1 - Solve the call quality problems (echo, buzzing, volume) for 99% of
the users.
2 - Solve the illume resume problems. They have been talked about over
and over, but unfortunately the information is scattered and
imprecise. the tickets themselves have misleading info (I should know,
I helped confuse you...), so maybe this deserves a new single ticket,
where everyone contributes with more exact information;
3 - Get the wifi driver corrected, so that it does not create link
association and stability and problems;
4 - Finish/validate implementation of the networking stack (all the
way up to resolv.conf and friends);
5 - Merge the GPRS muxer into the stable distro, so that it works out
of the box;
6 - Integrate the main applications with the power management: if QPE
wants to index the whole friggin' filesystem right after boot, then
give it time to do so before going into suspend; if you don't, it just
bogs down the CPU for many suspend/resume cycles, creating all sorts
of problems, and we don't know what is going on...
7 - Accelerate Qt applications - they respond so slowly that a normal
user will shoot itself in the foot everyday (i.e. pushing the "Answer"
button twice because it didn't appear to respond, effectively killing
the call; or taking the phone to the ear after pushing "Answer" and
having it rind loudly one last time in the ear);
8 - Work with the people of FDOM to integrate the best workarounds and
hacks - they did the work already, just use it.
9 - Get all the bluetooth support organized out-of-the-box. I haven't
played with it in a long time, but it looked like black voodoo to get
a simple pairing and OBEX exchange going... forget about PAN!...
10 - Put a "speaker" button on the dialer app. This is my only GUI
desire for now...

Vasco.