Back to the basics: improving user experience

Boris Wong lists.boris at bshed.com
Thu Oct 16 20:43:34 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 16:58 +0100, Vasco Névoa wrote:
> I can see there are at least 2 distinct types of user of OM:
> A - "I need a working phone now, the uber-cool PDA stuff can wait";
> B - "OM is a groundbreaking project, I don't care about telephony,
> let's press the revolution!"
> As much as I am divided among the two views, I think OM must oblige to
> its responsibility towards the users who have paid for their hardware,
> and keep its promise of a working phone.

There has been a lot of talk about a working phone, and I agree
(mostly). When I bought the FR I used it to replace my old phone
(non-PDA style regular flip phone). Other than just telephony services,
I found the Calendar/Alarm service very important. Currently accessing
the clock and accessing the alarm is difficult, not to mention there is
only one alarm time slot per day. I couldn't say much about the
stability, I have two other alarm clocks next to it to wake up, although
neither of those are stable either (I use a Cowon A3 player... DO NOT
use it to wake you up.. it won't go off half the time). Apart from this
digression, I would just like to say that a regular phone is expected to
have extensible utilities such as stable SMS, calendars, contacts, and
alarm clocks.
In my opinion, it's not just a phone. It's a day-planner.

-Boris