Tangogps pre-cache?

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 23:55:49 CEST 2008

2008/10/17 Xavier Cremaschi <omega.xavier at gmail.com>:
> Does someone know how to use .osm files with tangoGPS ?
> Because lots of countries seem ready to be downloaded here :
>     http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/

you can't use the .osm file with tango

they are text files, that need to be processed by a renderer. there
are several of these used by osm, including osmarender, mapnik and
kosmos.

it is possible to download the .osm, install the renderer and generate
your own tiles, but last i looked it wasn't for the faint-hearted.

check out svn in the openstreetmap wiki for more info; at least the
first two listed above are GPL

> If it's not possible I think I will use osmtiles ;)
>     http://www.millions.ca/~stacy/osmtiles.tgz

this will certainly be the easiest and quickest, although you get what
the renderer maintainer decides is important in the tiles