One more rotate version

Fabian Henze CC.Fan at gmx.de
Mon Oct 20 13:33:20 CEST 2008

On 20.10.2008 at 12:00:36, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 01:37:33AM +0200, Fabian Henze wrote:
> > As it seems popular these days to publish a custom version of the rotate
> > program, I am also going to do it.
>
> heh, you could've just sent a patch :)

Then I would have to write in your style, which I am not used to :p

> > After reading the source code of Rui Miguel Silva Seabra's rotate
> > program, I found some parts that could be improved and hacked on those.
> > The result differs from the original in the following points:
> >  - No brightness control (Its just annoying)
>
> I found that ever since I added it I never again had the weird split
> screen after rotation bug which sometimes happened when going
> horizontal.
>
> Doesn't that ever occur to you?
It always occur if I switch from xrandr -o 1 to xrandr -o 3. However only
then.

> >  - Imo better (and faster) heuristics
>
> I'll check on them and perhaps integrate.

Great :)

> >  - uses fewer CPU cycles (I have not done much research, because it would
> > not even show up in top)
>
> ? I hardly ever see mine on top, and even so when it did never more than
> 1% (especially with the dimmed screen).

oh, okay^^ Your announce message said something around 0.9%.

> > BUT:
> >  - It still suffers from the "accelerometers stop working after a while"
> > bug.
>
> This is hopefully a driver problem (if it's a hardware problem we're
> SOL).

Yeah hopefully. I have tried running cat /dev/input/event3 and it also stops
after some time.
@openmoko-devs: this would be a great bugfix for your 'back to the basics' path

-- Fabian