Partitionning separate /home/ floder to SD

Iain B. Findleton ifindleton at videotron.ca
Mon Oct 20 14:44:30 CEST 2008

All that works just fine, particularly the use of a swap partiton which
eliminates the slowing of the FR with time. I also made /usr/local point
to the uSD so that any applications I install are not affected by
changes to the flashed stuff.

I notice little negative effects by putting as much as possible on the
uSD. I did appear to observe that using ext3 on the uSD partitions
appears to be faster than using FAT file systems, however. That is just
an impression as I have not run any tests.

Joel Newkirk wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:39:34 +0100, "Andy Selby"
> <andyfrommk at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Is there a way that /home/ is in my SD card? Only /home/, like we do in
>>>
>> Linux
>>
>>> distributions... so I can flash whenever i want the Neo without loosing
>>> configuration files, icons and stuff I am adapting for myself in the
>>>
>> Neo?
>>
>> Did you try
>> #link /media/card/home /home
>>

> Actually that'd be 'ln'... ;)
>
> The solution I suspect Andy is seeking is to alter /etc/fstab:
> /dev/mmcblk0p1  /media/card     auto    defaults,async,noauto   0  0
> change to
> /dev/mmcblk0p1  /home     auto    defaults,async,noauto   0  0
>
> This replaces /home in the filesystem with the contents of the first
> partition on the uSD.  (note that if the /home folder already exists that
> this will effectively redirect /home to the uSD without touching the
> 'local' /home, so that if the uSD is removed, corrupted, etc, and doesn't
> mount, there's still a /home/root folder, just without everything you
> customized and added while on the uSD)
>
> When (if) I get my FR where I plan to retain the same installation
> long-term, I intend to carve up the 8gb uSD and have /dev/mmcblk0p3 as
> /home.  (partition #2 as swap, #1 as alternate boot)

Iain B. Findleton
Tel: 514-457-0744