consider buying Neo Freerunner

Fredrik Wendt fredrik at wendt.se
Mon Oct 20 22:01:06 CEST 2008

Hi. This is my first and hopefully only post in where I whine.

I love my FreeRunner - but it doesn't work as a phone reliably (I sure
don't want to miss my first daughter being born soon) and the progress
since July when I bought it is far from convincing ... FSO sure looks
good but it won't help that I can theoretically use the phone with any
UI and applications thinkable,

unless the hardware and it's basic functionality works.

My whining ends with:

* Can't call reliably
* GPS takes forever
* Accelerometer's interface
* Bluetooth with a headset is far from working
* Playing ogg/mp3 that all my other phones does hogs the CPU
* usage patterns regarding power and battery - there's a LOT to wish for
* using speaker as a conference phone ... well do I need to

So what use cases is left that it can actually fulfill?

* A wonderful toy
* A wonderful playground for learning python
* A wonderful project (the commercial GPS product does show that it
*should* work)
* book stand

but I don't know what to do with it - it's almost useless in it's
current state.

My suggestion: Wait for GTA03. On the other hand - I do believe that
they will fix everything with the GTA02 and that the phone will be
really awesome. Perhaps the GTA03 will have the same mountain of issues
that the GTA02 version has revealed.

I have a fever (home from work) so perhaps that's pulling my mood down a
bit too - normally I'd just warn you with the last "My suggestion"
part. :)

HTH,

	Fredrik

PS. If one would want to go with Qt Extended, the phone is much more
useful and complete regarding the software. But the hardware issues are
still the same. DS