dillo && security question

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Oct 21 05:43:12 CEST 2008

Hello,

After the lightweight webbrowser dillo was mentioned in the October
Community Update
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Community_Updates/October_19th,_2008
I was thinking to give it a try on my Fr, but I'm unsure if I should do so;

Who is the author of this port of dillo to arm4? There is no reference
and the only available download site is http://misc.andi.de1.cc/dillo/
which has no information about who did this port. In addition if you
search in Google for the string 'dillo_2.0-r0_armv4t.ipk' you will not
get any other reference or download point, nor any MD5 sum.

So what? Who did this port and is it safe to install this on the FR?
I'm asking because I think it would be easy to write some maleware which
let your FR dial every second some expensive service number or send out
SMS as SPAM. Don't get me wrong, I'm only speaking about the possibility
and that we should know *what* we install on our FR. I'm wrong?

Thx

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz