Android open sourced

Shawn "prjktdtnt" Thompson mokowatch at projektenterprises.com
Wed Oct 22 03:43:00 CEST 2008

Sam Kuper wrote:
> 2008/10/21 The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster at rasterman.com
> <mailto:raster at rasterman.com>>
>
>     you'd probably need to port androids display system to run under
>     x11. ie a
>     android window/surface == x11 window. also emulate any other
>     things via
>     icccm/netwm etc.
>
>     this would actually be cool. you can run any desktop you like
>     (2007.x matchbox
>     style, e+illume, xfce... or anything else AND run android app AND
>     run qt apps
>     AND run gtk apps.. AND EFL, AND java... AND C#/mono, AND...)
>

> That sounds awesome. If this worked, and was stable, the OpenMoko
> phones could become the ultimate pocket devices: more flexible than
> the phones designed for (and quite possibly limited to) Android. The
> scope for increasing one's productivity with such a monster is great
> indeed, and given that it's this kind of potential for productivity
> increases that draws me to PDAs, I'm pretty excited by the prospect.
>
> spk

The biggest question I have is would we finally get a decent keyboard
for finger usage? I have to use a stylus even to just make calls to
people who I do not have their number memorized and it is almost
impossible to text via finger on 200x.x. I would love to see a good
keyboard, reliable SMS and phone calls, at that point I'll be more than
satisfied with my investment, right now I'm happy but feel that things
have a long way to go.

-Shawn