Anyone interested in mentoring?

Sarton O'Brien roguemoko at roguewrt.org
Wed Oct 22 13:46:57 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 22 October 2008 18:05:50 Minh Ha Duong wrote:
> Dear wanabee mentored,
>
> >Mentoring might be the wrong term as it implies some obligation from the
> >person assisting. If you were contributing code then I'm sure someone
> > might consider it.
>
>   Project managers already trust _you_ explicitely to go forward and commit
> the changes you think are good: anybody can edit wiki pages, open tickets
> and float patches around. But you don't trust yourself. Good judgement
> comes with experience, and you say you don't have much. So you want someone
> to review your changes before you commit them.
>
>    Start with small fixes that are very obvious to you and you can explain
> well. If you are unsure, just post your opinion or your changes to the
> mailing lists. If you are even less confident, use your own blog (just
> don't expect anybody else to see it if it is not advertised on the planet
> !).
>
>   Did you find a local user group in your area ? Ever since mankind
> discovered fermentation (thousands of years ago), sharing beer has been the
> #1 way to join a social group.
>
>   Being polite and nice is mostly optional in the open source world.The
> currency is actual contributions. So you do something first, and someone
> will look it over.
>
> Minh

I'm not sure if my quote was relevant, except that maybe I was too nice?

The original email seemed to imply they required training rather than
mentoring. They did not even mention possible code submission or areas of
interest.

Not to say your suggestions aren't very good ones mind you :)

To the original sender, there's a saying; The only stupid question is the one
not asked.

You'll find in the open source world that that is definitely not the consensus
;) ... but don't be perturbed.

Sarton