Trouble adding uboot entry for debian

Alastair Johnson alastair at truebox.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 17:25:16 CEST 2008

Martijn Otto wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've just installed debian onto my SD-card. However, I am unable to
> add a uboot entry. I am assuming i'm missing something basic and am
> hoping for your input. I already tried the configure-uboot.sh script,
> and although it exits without an error, it does not add or modify any
> entries in the uboot menu. I also tried to do it manually by accessing
> the bootloader prompt, in which I issued the following commands:
>
> setenv menu_2 Boot from microSD part2 (ext2+ext2): setenv bootargs
> \${bootargs_base} rootfstype=ext2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootdelay=5
> \${mtdparts} ro\; mmcinit\; ext2load mmc 1 0x32000000
> \${sd_image_name}\; bootm 0x32000000
> saveenv
> neo1973 power-off
>
> With, of course, some printenv commands in between to verify the entry
> does indeed show up. This all works as expected. I get a menu_2 entry
> and the Freerunner powers down. However, when i go back into the uboot
> menu, the entry does not show up and when i go into the console it is
> gone too.
>
> Does anybody have any idea what i'm doing wrong here?

You don't mention whether you're using the NAND or NOR version of uboot.
  If you used the NOR version (Aux then Power) then the changes wouldn't
be saved because it is the failsafe bootloader. If you used the NAND
version (Power then Aux) then it should have saved. The commands look
right from memory, assuming your uboot is recent enough to support
ext2load, but I may have missed something.