[2008.x] GPRS Instructions on the Wiki

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Wed Oct 22 18:51:38 CEST 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:12:12 -0400, Stefan Monnier
<monnier at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> When I looked at the prices for GPRS service from my provider (around
> 3¢/kB), I was flabbergasted, and now I wonder: what do people do
> with GPRS?  Do they have better deals from their carrier, or do they use
> their bandwidth *very* sparingly?  If so, what tools do they use?
>

>         Stefan

In the US the primary GSM carriers are AT&T (Cingular) and T-Mobile.  They
both offer "unlimited" data add-ons for voice service for about $30,
standalone unlimited data for $35-$40.  I have unlimited data with T-Mobile
on the no-longer-offered 'internet3 VPN' add-on plan, $20 for unlimited.
I've gone a week before routing my home network across EDGE when my DSL was
down, never hit a consumption limit yet.  (though I don't doubt there is
one, at least for regular usage as opposed to very intermittent as mine is
- until my Freerunner arrived I probably averaged 2mb per month the past
two years, with no usage some months and occasional 10-20mb)

AT&T's 'PDA Personal' unlimited is $30 add-on, $35 standalone.  T-Mobile's
'Total Internet' is (IIRC) $30 add-on, $40 standalone.