[2008.x] GPRS Instructions on the Wiki

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Wed Oct 22 18:57:56 CEST 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:47:52 +0100, Alastair Johnson
<alastair at truebox.co.uk> wrote:
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:12:12AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> When I looked at the prices for GPRS service from my provider (around
>>> 3¢/kB), I was flabbergasted, and now I wonder: what do people do
>>> with GPRS?  Do they have better deals from their carrier, or do they
> use
>>> their bandwidth *very* sparingly?  If so, what tools do they use?
>>
>> When I looked at prices for GPRS and onwards, I decided I would never
>> ever use such services, and advise everyone against using them.
>>
>> The only reason they cost so much, is so you don't use VOIP for cheaper
>> calls.
>
> VoIP over GPRS? Good luck with those latencies ;-)

:)  I've pushed VOIP over EDGE before to test, it was tolerable.  Not tried
over GPRS though.  I have streamed internet radio over GPRS, <=32k streams.

> Still people seem quite happy to pay for text messages. Work out the
> cost per kB on those ;-)

Ludicrous, in a word.  What irritates me the most is that I have unlimited
data, but T-Mobile still charges me $0.15 per text message since I don't
pay the $5 or whatever per month for a messaging bundle.  Most
irrititatingly, though, if the message has an image or sound file attached,
the multimedia message comes out of data instead of text messaging, so it's
free.  (and I can't currently attach images/sounds to messages with my FR)
With my old camera phone I actually would write short messages on paper and
send a photo, so it'd be free.  (I'm just perverse that way)