DNS caching (was Re: netfix testers?)

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Thu Oct 23 03:08:42 CEST 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:00:59 +0100, Alastair Johnson
<alastair at truebox.co.uk> wrote:
> Joel Newkirk wrote:

>> http://newkirk.us/om/dnscache_2.1.5_armv4t.ipk ;)
>
> I couldn't see dnscache in OE but it sounds like the configuration to
> work with resolvconf is similar. dnsmasq is already available in OE
> which may make integration with the standard images easier. It also
> serves dhcp which would be useful when hooking up to a random laptop to
> provide GPRS access. I don't have any experience with either dnsmasq or
> dnscache other than looking at the docs, so I'm interested in hearing
> experience of their relative merits. IIRC someone (you?) mentioned a
> peculiarity of the djbdns build that may make it hard to include in OE.

I've not used dnsmasq.  Build complications with djbdns revolve mostly
around his approach to a makefile.  It assumes it's being compiled on the
destination machine directly, and builds test programs and scripts on the
fly.  I've no doubt someone could distill it to a briefer makefile that
would successfully build dnscache for the FR, but I suspect a proper
bitbake recipe would prove more challenging, and really ought to encompass
the whole package, not just one component.

I wrote a script to automate the build.  It's fairly ugly, builds djbdns
plus daemontools plus tcpserver.  Of that all, only one component of djbdns
is of immediate interest to me, dnscache, so the rest is superfluous.  (I
started with a full proper djbdns installation on my FR and trimmed it back
step by step - for purposes as a local cache on a handheld device I decided
that TCP support [rarely used in such a situation] and the daemontools
service management weren't vital)