New home for the New FDOM

david at tuxbrain.com david at tuxbrain.com
Thu Oct 23 14:40:16 CEST 2008

Hi there,
There is a new FDOM release uploaded at ... no, NOT at compartida.net
as the topic suggest FDOM has a new home at
http://www.tuxbrain.com/fdom_en.html
and if you ask yourself why is because Tuxbrain is my brand new
company and I finally have my own server to upload those "light" images
Saergio please configure compartida as mirror if you don't mind

This release is plenty of new things, the first and I believe the most
Important is that you don't need to reflash your neo to FDOMize it :)
Thank's to Nacho, Armin and all of you who have give us ideas and
links we have created the FDOMizer :) It can be considered a
instruction's log of what we do from a OM2008.X to transform it to a
FDOM,
The script has been structured to be able to update previous versions
of FDOM to the latests one. even it has a "only fix" option in case
some opkg update upgrade mess up things... better to say try to put
order in the mess we created without success :)

I have to say we have  no much time to test it so surelly this is the
most unstable release of FDOM we have released, but thanks of the
script you will know exactly what we have done an will be easy to know
how to fix it, if you want to collaborate to improve Fdomizer for next
release fell free to register on the devel list.

Here is a few of the improvement we have added to this new version
(maybe some of them will half-work and one or two doesn't work at all
yet but surely in near future they will)
you can take a look directly at the script to see what and how is
installed. here I post a list commented that can be used as guide to
next steps (fix all that doesn't work out of the box)

*dillo (this is FAST app definition ;) it's a pity it doesn't comes
with ssl included)
*ePdfview, not tested yet
*gutenflash (is so geek app that is a must),
*qt-x11 calculator works fine :)
*lint-wifi(no wifi arround when I tested)
*fbreader(install but not apear on the main screen, must investigate why)
*Updated remoko to 0.3.2 (do not work for a dependency problem
python-textutils packages seem to have bad MD5 from every where I try
to download)
In the game part :)
*Updated Duke3D a version without sound but that works like a charm an
has a semitransparent buttons
*Pingus :) since I know it exists I was willing to have them on the neo
*of course the venerated openmoocow!!! so silly that you must smile
any time you upside down your neo
*And this one is for steve GNUChess ;)
And a lot of cosmetic fixes(arrange icons, submenus, search bar on
contacts...) and some no so cosmetic (hwclock, alsa states, storage
issue...) thanks to Armin

And if you visit the page you will see one thing even my coadmins
doesn't wait for }8-)>

Things to improve that I'm not proud of,
GPL stuff, I was intended to document  where any piece of code comes
from but I have no time to do that, so I will try to improve this
making comments on the  script itself any time I put a binaries
directly and revamped confs.
Pindgin It has been update in angstrom repository and it segfaults,
surely is dependency issue but I need more time to test.
In the first start you must disable automated sleep for a couple of
minutes to let the system time to stabilize.

Well surely you will discover a lot more things to not to be proud of,
but that's what we like it, FAT and DIRTY ;)

David Reyes Samblas Martinez
http://www.tuxbrain.com
Open ultraportable solutions,
watch out!! there is a Linux in you pocket ;)