European Freerunner in USA?

Jeffrey Malone ieatlint at tehinterweb.com
Sat Oct 25 10:57:00 CEST 2008

Okay, as others have reported, the non-North American version of the
FreeRunner will work in the US.

In California and Nevada, there is extensive coverage by both ATT and
T-Mobile on the 1900 band.  Both offer prepaid SIM cards.
If you do end up getting a prepaid SIM, there are two things to note:

T-Mobile US does not sell any data plans to their prepaid customers
(so you will not have ANY data with T-Mobile US on a prepaid SIM)
ATT reportedly sells data at a $20/mo cost (unlimited usage).
However, due to a very long reason, T-Mobile coverage would *in
theory* be better, as ATT also relies on 850 towers (T-Mobile US only
has 1900 towers) -- but in major places like San Francisco and Las
Vegas, it is unlikely to be a problem.

Also, you asked about HSPDA modems.  A quick look into the modems
shows they are UMTS/HSDPA/EDGE/GPRS.  The modems' UMTS/HSPDA will not
work here on any carrier.  The 2100 band, which everyone 3g outside of
the US uses, is used for something else.
ATT uses 850/1900 hybrid bands, and T-Mobile US uses 1700/2100 hybrid
(which is not compatible with just 2100).
Assuming the modems support 1900, then GPRS/EDGE will work with them.

Please note that I am not a prepaid customer, so the prices and
availability I've quoted for prepaid data may be incorrect.

Jeffrey