``Freerunner reliable and stable''?!

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sun Oct 26 11:44:35 CET 2008

El día Sunday, October 26, 2008 a las 11:40:00AM +0000, Ole Kliemann escribió:

> Hi to everyone.
>
> I already posted my point in an earlier discussion but didn't get much
> of a reaction. The original post was this[1]. I will shortly reproduce
> my main point here:
>
> Me as well as several others - as I read here on the lists - have bought
> our FR when it was released somehow expecting it being consumer-ready.
> It was the general notion that GTA01 was for developers, GTA02 for
> end-user.
>
> I certainly can be blamed for not gathering enough information before
> buying an FR. But then again if you just look at openmoko.com, you get a
> lot of fancy design but not one hint that the FR is not ready for
> everyday use. Instead I read:
>
> ``If you plan on using your FreeRunner for everyday use, then we would
> recommend Qtopia. While it doesn't utilize all the the new hardware
> features of the phone, it is reliable and stable.''
>
> Which is simply not true. Qtopia of course suffers from the same
> hardware and kernel issues as just any other distro.
>
> So my question to OM is: Why does openmoko.com not explicitly give a
> warning concerning the current state of maturity of both the hardware
> and the software? (As it was btw. the case with GTA01. There was a big
> warning.)

Hello,

I'm a bit tired of all those (useless) threads like this. I DO USE the FR
with Om2008.9 for everyday use, I do not even own any other cellphone.
We should improve what we have and stop useless discussions, as well
about Google's trick of Android which has nothing todo with free
software.

Thx

	matthias
--