GTA03 - buttons or touchscreen

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Sun Oct 26 21:24:55 CET 2008

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:43:12 +0100, Jelle De Loecker <skerit at kipdola.com>
wrote:
> I wonder if most people's need for a physical keyboard is a consequence
> of the GTA02's small screen. (Well, it's too small to use as a screen
> AND a keyboard at the same time, I think)
>
> Just make the screen big enough to use the virtual keyboard easily, I
> think the iPhone proved it can work this way.
>
> For me, adding a keyboard will just add more bagage to the phone which I
> really do not want.

Agreed.  Although I realize it would NOT appeal to many, my ideal
FreeRunner would be at most half as thick but with a 4"-5" diagonal screen,
touchscreen-only with hardware keyboard (as now) possible via USB or
bluetooth.  (but replace aux button with a wheel or a touchstrip)  A pocket
tablet or slate, if you will.

But it's vital to keep in mind that GTA04 (GTA03 design is apparently
pretty well set now, AFAIK, at least at the level of keyboard/nokeyboard)
will quite possibly be targeted to a more consumer-level user, meaning that
the average participant on this list is NOT the target buyer.  (IOW, you're
probably asking the wrong people ;)