Splash screen during boot

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 22:21:08 CET 2008

2008/10/28 Daniel Benoy <daniel at benoy.name>:
> Also, can anyone point me toward any documentation on how to edit the splash partition?  I'm thinking perhaps of making a 'If found, please return to this guy' type message with gimp.

download this file:
http://downloads.openmoko.org/releases/Om2008.9/Om2008.9.splash.gz

and uncompress it.

i would imagine (on windows at the moment, can't open gz files),
there's an image inside it

edit the image, re-package, and then flash to the neo, using instructions at

http://downloads.openmoko.org/releases/Om2008.9/

or on the wiki

problem with your approach is: if the phone's running when someone
finds it, what's the chances of them turning it off and then on?

i think filling out the first entry on contacts, by beginning it with
an underscore, would be a better bet, and it's a lot simpler:

contact name: _CALL ME IF FOUND
contact number: <your home phone number>

or go real low-tech, and put a label on the phone/lanyard. no need to
make things complicated