DIY Audioadaptor

Thomas Köckerbauer tkoeck at gup.jku.at
Tue Oct 28 21:34:47 CET 2008

> I was about to solder myself an adaptor to use my headphones with the
> FreeRunner as an ogg/flac player. I have found some jacks, which seem to
> good for this task (german website):
> http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=3;LA=2;GROUP=C161;GROUPID=3237;ARTICLE=4778
>4
> http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=3;LA=2;GROUP=C161;GROUPID=3237;ARTICLE=4778
>5
> http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=3;LA=2;GROUP=C161;GROUPID=3237;ARTICLE=9410
>
> Now I wonder, whether
> a) the jack inside the fr is compatible to the ones of reichelt?

I bought this connector:
http://www1.at.conrad.com/scripts/wgate/zcop_at/~flN0YXRlPTM5NzYwMDU3MjU=?~template=pcat_product_details_document&product_show_id=730520&no_brotkrumennavi=1&zhmmh_area_kz=LN
It does not fit very well. The metal-base of the connector has a to large
diameter. Since the headset socket of the Freerunner is a bit inside of the
case the connector has only full contact if I press in the connector really
hard (the case caves in a bit). As soon as I stop pressing the plug goes back
outside a bit again and looses contact again. So you have to make sure that
the base of the connector is not to large (this is somewhat similar to the
headset connector problem that was there at the first iPhone).
Maybe as a suggestion for improvement for further OpenMoko phones would be
that the headset socket should be not be to far in the device.
I'm now thinking about buying a Nokia headset and making an adapter out of it,
since those have plugs that are normally smaller than those for
self-soldering.

> b) I just need to connect the jacks with a proper cable or do I have to
> solder some resistor, capacitor or sth, different in between to work around
> the bad sound quality some people have noticed?

I did not add anything in between. I can't complain about the audio quality
(I've also read those reports about bad sound quality, but I did not really
notice anything).