[FDOM] Mouse cursor visibility

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Wed Oct 29 00:04:17 CET 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:57:27 +0100 Bastiaan Hovestreydt
<openmoko at hovestreydt.com> babbled:

> Hi,
>
> since its possible I want to use my Freerunner with an USB mouse :-)
> I got it working flawlessly by plugging the mouse in while the phone is
> in host mode and removing the -hide-cursor argument from the ARGS
> variable in /etc/X11/Xserver.
> Unfortunately you have to restart your Xserver each time you want to
> show/hide the mouse cursor. I was wondering if there is a way to change
> the visibility of the cursor while the Xserver is running so I don't
> have to reboot every time I want to get rid of the cursor again.

basically - no. there is no x extension or call to globally make a cursor not
visible or visible. thus it's a cmd-line option. you can make an attempt at
this in the window manager by setting root cursor to "blank" or "visible" BUT
amny apps and toolkits explicitly set cursors of their own on their own windows
or on their widgets (eg a different cursor over text areas) and the root cursor
is overridden here - thus the global disable option to not have to go patching
every app/toolkit and still possibly get a cursor.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com