Some debian questions

Benedikt Bär beniwtv at relamp.tk
Wed Oct 29 13:42:44 CET 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 11:21 +0800, Guillaume Chereau wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 10:29 +0800, Guillaume Chereau wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 14:51 +0100, Benedikt Bär wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I am currently setting up a debian system on my FreeRunner, but I have
> > > some questions. :)
> > >
> > > 1) I'm writing some python programs to interact with the FSO framework.
> > > I have seen there's now support for a "rules" file, which seems quite a
> > > nice idea.
> > >
> > > Now, I would like to be able to modify these rules via my program. That
> > > way, for example, I could set a screen blanking / suspend timeout but my
> > > program wouldn't have to listen to events. It would automatically be
> > > done by the framework.
> > >
> > > Is this possible? If not, any plans to implement something like a D-BUS
> > > interface for modifying rules?
> > You can already add new rules using the dbus call :
> > org.freesmartphone.Events.AddRule(s)
> >
> > the string should be in the same format than the rules in the rules
> > file.
> >
> > For the way to modify rules, it is planned. Rules can have name (using
> > 'name' attribute in the rules file.)
> > I will take some time today to add a RemoveRule, so that you can add and
> > remove rules.
>
> Ok I added the RemoveRule method to oeventsd, you can check oevents.py
> in the framework tests directory to see how to add and remove rules.

Wow... That was quick! :) I'll check this out tonight! Thanks a lot.

> BUT, it makes me realize a problem : the rules manager only activates
> the rules that are specified in the rules preference file (e.g [0])
>
> So if you add a new rule with a name, the rule won't be activated unless
> you also specify that the rule is activated in the preference file. that
> is not very good and we need to solve this problem.

Hmm... Indeed a problem. Maybe there could be a function to
activate/deactivate the given rule, and have it parsed if activated.

Is the rules manager that flexible yet? Maybe you can point me in the
right direction there and I could come up with a patch for that :)

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
Benedikt