[Om2008.9] GPS && pre-fetching maps from openstreetmap.org

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 29 13:49:31 CET 2008

Two suggestions:
On the FR just drag the map around the screen until you have covered the
area you want.  Use the download map function to grab multiple levels.
It will "stack" them up too - you dont have to wait for then to download
before moving/selecting the next batch.

Install tangogps onto your desktop and do the same - then rsync it to
the FR.

Despite the seeming extra work, the last is the easier way to do it.
(and provides backup if your SD card gets trashed as they sometimes do.)

Maps get big though - I have over 1Gbyte for an approx 100x100 km area
around Perth, Western Australia (much of which is blank compared with
other places :)

BillK

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 13:33 +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The GPS is now working very fine with tangoGPS on my FR; I'm storing the fetched maps
> in /media/card/osm and they're fetched through the USB via my Internet
> connection, so far so good;
>
> Is there somehow I structured way to pre-fetch maps without using
> tangoGPS and go virtually to the area and walking around there on the
> touch pad? I mean, can I say "I wanna have the area with the coordinates
> X1-X2-X3-X4 and store them with zoom level NN" into /media/card/osm"?
> The reason I'm asking: I will go to Cuba in some weeks, being offline
> there, but it would be nice having the maps with me. Thx
>
> 	matthias
Home in Perth!