Email notification by VoIP. Was: Re: Om2008.8: execute script on incoming call

Ole Kliemann ole-om-community-2008 at mail.plastictree.net
Mon Sep 1 22:27:05 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 03:27:27PM +0100, Stroller wrote:

> On 31 Aug 2008, at 12:46, Ole Kliemann wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 06:37:05AM +0100, Stroller wrote:
> >> As the son of Lancastrian blood, I can sympathise with
> >> parsimoniousness, but right now Ole's suggestion appears penny-
> >> pinching to me, rather than practical & prudent economising.
> >
> > Are you by any chance associated with a VoIP company and afraid of
> > people making no-connect/no-cost calls all the time? ;-)
>
> No, not at all.
>
> But I figured that since you're going to have to pay to fetch the
> data anyway, I couldn't see much saving with this drop-calling
> shenanigans. You appear to have proved me right with your subsequent
> calculations.

I just realised why my drop-call solution is so much superior to any
IMAP-idle or interval checking. It's funny no one thought about this
yet.

When using IMAP-idle you can hardly suspend, can you? At least it would
be necessary to keep the connection open, handle incoming traffic and
wake in case of new mail. I guess to do so will require the whole system
to be running.

When using interval checking you have the extra costs and extra battery
drainage because of resuming every 3 minutes.

If you use notification by drop-call, the FR can sleep through - the
modem handles the wakeup.

Ole