Duped Messages (OffTopic but important to lists.openmoko.org operations)

Sarton O'Brien roguemoko at roguewrt.org
Tue Sep 2 05:56:29 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 02 September 2008 13:02:59 Joel Newkirk wrote:
> After that final period (a period by itself on a line ends an SMTP
> message transfer) it sits there thinking for 12-15 seconds in silence,
> then responds - slightly more delay that I'm used to in such tests, but
> not unusual, (particularly if filtering is performed at that stage,
> which would allow unacceptable emails to be rejected instead of having
> to bounce - better for spam control that way) and one test it took only
> 7.5 seconds.
>
> Then there was the test (same procedure, same entries, second test)
> where after the period-enter I waited 4 minutes with no '250 OK'
> response.  Lacking that response code, the sending mailserver eventually
> presumes the communication to have failed, and queues the message for
> redelivery attempt.  I finally killed my telnet session, and sure enough
> the message "The results of your email commands" came back to me from
> Mailman.
>
> ***HOWEVER: RFC-2821 specifies the timeout period while awaiting '250
> OK' response is 10 minutes, so strictly speaking this is a
> misconfiguration or bug in the SENDING mailserver, NOT Exim 4.63 on
> sita.openmoko.org.***

Hmmm, those are erratic results. Unfortunately without knowing their setup, it
could merely be one drone or two drones causing the problem as I have sent an
email with no duplicates before.

It could also be the load balancing itself . Who knows. Maybe there is no load
balancing ...

Hopefully you've discussed this enough for someone to look :)

Sarton