Please split this list!

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Sep 2 09:12:20 CEST 2008

On 1 Sep 2008, at 16:35, arne anka wrote:

>> There was some discussion about the mailing lists a couple of months
>> ago - ... Openmoko ...
>> redefined the purpose of the device-owners list, renaming it to
>> support at the same time...
> the change from "device-owners" to "support" was proposed and took
> place
> because sensible: the list was created for the few that owned
> already an
> fr to discuss support questions -- for people w/o neo/fr it was of
> rather
> platonic interest.
> after switching to mass market and the subsequent increase of
> owners the
> name seemed not longer appropriate.

Irrespective of who did it & whether it was discussed or not, we
still have loads of support-type questions ("How do I do this?" "I
changed the following config file but still...") on community. The
volume just makes it unmanageable, IMO.

People keep saying "filter it on the client" side, but how the heck
does one do that? If we have multiple lists those who wish can
subscribe to all of them and filter them into one folder, those that
don't, don't. It seems simply a matter of choice to me, and multiple
lists ADD choice, a fewer lists removes it.

Stroller.