Stable Distro Recommendation for Business trip

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 17:14:59 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:08 PM, Warren Baird <photogeekmtl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I've been running OM2008.8 with testing updates for a few weeks now, and
> I'm finding it generally pretty good - however, it isn't terrifically stable
> - I've had incoming calls where they couldn't hear me, or where the 'answer
> call' page doesn't show up until after the caller hangs up.  In my
> day-to-day life I'm usually near a land-line, so these haven't been serious
> problems.
>
> In a few weeks I'm going on a week long business trip, and my cell is going
> to be my main source of connectivity, so I'm going to need something a lot
> more stable.
>
> I'd love to hear what the community recommends for a distro providing
> stable connectivity - phone and sms is the highest priority - although GPS
> capability would be a bonus.
>
> The two leading candidates are either FSO or Qtopia.
>
> Any opinions on which of these options would work best?
>
> My backup position is to put my SIM back in my old Motorola and use it as a
> phone, and just use my FR as a hand-held computer...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Warren
>
> I'm considering either installing FSO or Qtopia
>
> Hey Warren, it seems you are speaking for me word-for-word!  Along with
business trip and Motorola.

I don't know if they already do it, but IMHO whenever a call comes in, the
processes associated with the call should be given the highest priority and
non-essential processes should be reniced temporarily to the background.

I would love to show off my FR on my business trip to the UK tomorrow, but I
can't take the risk: I have to be available all the time.  So I have the map
for London installed, and will use only the GPS.

By the way, this page http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Distributions says
Qtopia does not have GPS.