specific absorption rate

Sarton O'Brien roguemoko at roguewrt.org
Wed Sep 3 01:20:10 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 02 September 2008 17:56:26 Robin Paulson wrote:
> 2008/9/2 Sarton O'Brien <roguemoko at roguewrt.org>:
> > The way I see it is, there is a required/acceptable amount of power
> > required to reach the nearest tower. Anything lower would be unacceptable
> > and the findings then fall on the antenna design.
>
> is the relationship as simple as:
> increase the antenna size, decrease the radiation?

From what I understand, the SAR is determined under normal operation. If less
of the transmission is occurring close to your body, then the SAR decreases.

So I guess ... the answer is probably yes.

> could an external antenna help increase battery life also?

If you were able to decrease the sensitivity then I'd say that's a
possibility.

> is this something we can choose ourselves, or are there particular
> requirements we should be aware of?

That I have no idea about and would depend on what I said above.

> > Currently nearly all phones omit an antenna and therefore increase the
> > SAR (and decrease the signal quality). I admit, I've never understood why
> > an antenna like the startac's han't been included in newer phones. It did
> > retract
>
> the public values compactness over safety?

Since when has the human race as a whole been smart? We learn quickly compared
to other species but way too slow for our own good.

> > after all. The alternative these days is to use a headset/ear piece (and
> > probably leave the phone near other important parts of you body!).
>
> someone suggested this was a bad idea, cos you're plugging the antenna
> straight into the side of your head, actually making things worse

That assumes the ear piece is the antenna. Not always the case. In the case of
the FR, I don't know if this is the case or not.

> > The overall effect is that nearly all current mobile phones have a
> > similar SAR, as far as I can tell anyway (give or take, usually based on
> > the design of the internal antenna).
> >
> > It's been a while so thing may have changed ...

To be honest, I gave up caring.

Sarton