FR won't boot without going into uboot menu first

Cesar Eduardo Barros cesarb at cesarb.net
Wed Sep 3 02:56:25 CEST 2008

nickd escreveu:
> your splash.gz and maybe your uboot-env. I got both of a friend, which
> worked, but apparently your uboot-env has a list of bad blocks in it
> written at manufacturing time specifically for your phone. Debug board

No, the bad block list is not on the u-boot environment. The bad block
list is in a different hidden area, which doesn't show up as a partition
and thus is a bit harder to damage (it's in the four "fake" bad blocks
at the very end of the NAND flash).

There's another "hidden" area, in the OOB bytes of the first NAND block,
which points to the u-boot environment. If the partitioning is different
(and the partitions are stored in the u-boot environment), it has to be
adjusted to point to the u-boot environment (else u-boot cannot find it).

For more details, take a look at
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/NAND_bad_blocks (which was written for the
GTA01, but AFAIK the only relevant change for the GTA02 is the addition
of the NOR flash and different partition sizes).

--
Cesar Eduardo Barros
cesarb at cesarb.net
cesar.barros at gmail.com