geomagnetic sensor?

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Wed Sep 3 06:30:30 CEST 2008

Wondering if anyone has explored this yet.  The wiki has the page
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wishlist_-_Hardware:_Digital_compass on
the idea.  The AKM device is apparently no longer produced (link is
dead, search of their page produces no results), and the Honeywell is
significantly larger (and 2-axis instead of 3-axis) than the Yamaha.
Personally, I'd be thrilled to be able to tuck a YAS529 inside my
Freerunner...  ~$10 each samples, I2C serial interface, about 4mm^3,
it's just so appealing... With that plus the accelerometers and the GPS
we'd have position and orientation nailed now pretty well.  (well, at
least within the vicinity of the earth's surface ;)