Qtopia on Freerunner: Firsts steps of a newbee

roguemoko at roguewrt.org roguemoko at roguewrt.org
Thu Sep 4 07:33:48 CEST 2008

Sven Bretfeld wrote:
> flamma at correo.ugr.es writes:
>

>>> Where to store music files so that the
>>> media player recognizes them?
>>>
>> /media/card . For me, that was the kernel partition, so I had little space
>> to store songs. I suppose this could be solved editing /etc/fstab.
>>

> Hm ... ls -l /media/card gives several input/output errors on my device.
> So I don't dare to copy files into that directory.
>
> Anyway, from where have you got this information? The installed help
> function says much about how to build and play a playlist etc. but
> nothing about how to introduce files to the player. Can a
> documentation be really so poor? I tend to think I'm missing something
> really obvious, which is clear to all others but me. I believe there
> must be some kind of handbook, maybe one that is shipped together with
> a device with a pre-installed Qtopia. But I cannot find anything like
> that.

Welcome to open source :) ... or more to the point, the open source
edition of Qtopia.

I imagine the full version has smb/cifs and usb mass storage out of the
box but with this version you have to use you imagination a bit. Being
linux, transfer methods vary from person to person. I use scp/sftp to
transfer to /media/card/audio. I have a fat32 formatted, 'known to work'
sd card installed. I'm not quite sure what's up with yours though.

Once you _have_ got something across, it will automatically appear
within the media browser. I read /media/card somewhere (I'd bet the
wiki), transfered, tried and it worked. I imagine most people have a
similar experience hence no elaboration on how to actually transfer the
files etc.

For convenience, KDE supports fish:// for drag and drop functionality
with ssh. I think filezilla supports sftp ... if not, I'm sure there are
plenty of gui apps available. You'd simply need to connect to your
phone's IP address.

As someone stated before, the wiki would definately benefit from your
experience once you figure out the best method, as it's hard for some of
us to see it from certain perspectives.

Hope that helps.

Sarton