QTopia full screen handwriting on OM2008?

Neil Brown neilb at suse.de
Fri Sep 5 02:42:48 CEST 2008

On Monday September 1, erland at lewin.nu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> According to Trolltech's documentation (
> http://doc.trolltech.com/qtopia4.3/inputmethods-description.html), QTopia
> supports handwriting recognition.
>
> Is there some way to get handwriting recognition to work on the OM 2008
> distribution?
>
> I don't want to start a discussion about the pros and cons of virtual
> keyboards, but I've been happy with the 'handwriting' recognition on my Sony
> Ericsson P910i, and just not having a keyboard covering half the screen
> would be nice.

I'm working on it.... whether I'll ever finish is uncertain though :-)

What I currently have is a little "scribble pad" application with
handwriting recognition built in, so if you tap somewhere you can
start drawing letters and digits and they are added to the scribble
pad page as text.

   git://neil.brown.name/scribble/

This is largely just to test and experiment with handwriting
recognition.

I'm in the process of re-writing the recognition code so that it
(hopefully) makes fewer mistakes.  It currently gets confused between
l (drawn like L) and e, has trouble recognising 8 and v, and various
other little issues.  But I find it usable.

Then I'll put the recogniser into a program that grabs all touchscreen
events and feeds them back as either key strokes or stylus events.

My initial plan is that:
  - a tap goes straight through as a mouse click
  - a stroke is interpreted as a written symbol
  - a tap-and-drag (like you can do in a notebook's touchpad) becomes
    mouse movement
  - a vertical stroke in the right 1/3 of the screen becomes a
    scroll-wheel event.

I don't know how the tap-and-drag will feel - it might be too
frustrating.

Eventually (if I get that far) I'd like to have a little widget in the
illume status bar to allow selection of abc/123/stroke.  But that will
be much later.

NeilBrown