Any experiences with power hungry USB devices?

Eli retracile at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 05:06:13 CEST 2008

On Friday 29 August 2008 11:17:20 pm Michael Shiloh wrote:
> I'm working on documenting various aspects of our USB port.
>
> We believe that the FreeRunner USB port should be capable of delivering
> the standard USB high current of 500mA. We also believe that we respond
> properly to USB negotiation of this current, up from the minimum of 100mA.
>
> I suddenly remembered that someone posted about using a USB keyboard
> that didn't work due to high current. However, the FreeRunner should be
> able to provide exactly as much current as a desktop PC, which I assume
> works with this keyboard.

I have a USB keyboard (EMPREX 5139U) which, with the 2007.2 (I think), the
LEDs would not light up, but I could use it on the console (and not in X, but
due to other things).  It works fine with my PC, and with the FR now that I'm
running Debian (though it doesn't keep the FR from dimming the screen).

Eli