Chancing SIM card without reboot

Dale Maggee antisol at internode.on.net
Fri Sep 5 17:34:15 CEST 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/8/25 Fredrik Wendt <fredrik at wendt.se>:
>
>> In Sweden we have three GSM network operators (those with licenses to
>> actually put GSM equipment to use) and having to wait 3-4 minutes after
>> each SIM change really kills productivity and flow ...
>>

> Would it be reasonable for future Openmoko phones to accept multiple
> SIM cards? I don't know if three is pushing it, but two certainly
> sounds reasonable. The expectation would be that the user could
> receive calls from both lines at the same time. When making calls,
> SMSing, or browsing 3G one could either specify which network to use
> or have a default set. Individual contacts could even have an override
> option to the default to always use a particular network.

I'd also *love* to see a phone with two SIM slots - I can see the
interface now, when you dial a number, it prompts you "with dial as:
<number 1> <number 2>". I also like the Idea of having certain contacts
set to automatically dial using a specified sim.

There are a couple of interesting possibilities for the openmoko to be
able to do something like this using only one sim slot:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wishlist#Soft_Sim_Cloning
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wishlist#Bluetooth_powered_Multi-SIM_support

-Dale