Sound problems under Debian

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Fri Sep 5 19:05:37 CEST 2008

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld at gmx.ch> writes:
> 1. There seems to be no sound at all. 'aplay file.wav' just pretends
> to play but neither gives any output nor returns the cursor.

aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav

plays here. I used

alsactl store -f aplay-audible1.state

to save my alsa settings at

http://iki.fi/lindi/openmoko/aplay-audible1.state

Can you please compare this against yours?

> 2. xfmedia doesn't start at all. An attempt to start the program from
> a shell, too, doesn't give any output or error message.

Can you try mplayer first? I can install xfmedia too if it really has
some openmoko specific issue but I'd like to hear if mplayer works for
you first.

> 3. The ring tone is just a lousy noise.

You mean you don't like the tune? ;-) I don't like it either and it's
also non-free so it's going to change anyway. If you know python you
can fix this from the source code (apt-get source fso-frameworkd and
search for ".sid").

> 4. During a phone call, voices are poorly transmitted (noisy), for me
> as well as for the recipient.

That is bit more complex issue. It would definitely help if we could
record some standard test call.