voip on Debian

TL Mieszkowski mieszkowski at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 11:28:58 CEST 2008

I've had a lot of success running both twinkle and asterisk and I thought I'd
share my experiences.
Twinkle works well, but the gui is limiting on the touchscreen.  I think
once configured properly
asterisk will make an excellent voip backend for the neo.  You can control
it through asterisk
manager commands by writing text strings to a socket, and which has hooks
for most languages I'm sure.

The difficult part is getting a good set of configuration files for
asterisk.  I think for the most part I have
a good setup for sip.  iax could be configured too (important I think for
the encryption).

Heres the steps as well as I can remember:

1.) You need the alsa state for voip handset. Can be got here:

http://svn.openmoko.org/trunk//src/target/audio/om-gta02/

This goes in /usr/share/openmoko/scenarios/
load it with the command :

alsactl -f /usr/share/openmoko/scenarios/voip-handset.state restore

2.) Install asterisk, or twinkle, (or whatever, I got those two to work).
In any program other than asterisk, you must enter your sip server info.

For asterisk you need these changes:
  -modules.conf:
        change the sound module from oss to alsa (about halfway down)
  -alsa.conf:
        uncomment the audio devices and use `plughw` as the devices instead
of `hw` like this "input_device=plughw:0,0"
        set autoanswer=no
  -sip.conf:
        you need to set your realm for your sip server
        set an outbound sip registration:
          register => user:auth at server
        set authentication credentials for outgoing calls:
          auth=user:auth at server
        I recommend using disallow=all & allow=ulaw or alaw, to avoid
stressing the cpu, unless you
             have a slow net connection.
  -extensions.conf:
        you need to set up extensions to forward to your sip service
            exten => _1NXXNXXXXXX,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@yourserver.org)

It really helps to have an asterisk server that isn't NATed to test with
If someone out there has the skills to make a gui, I can do the backend
asterisk stuff.
There is the potential to do some really cool stuff with asterisk it has
quite a bit of functionality.