GSoC OpenMoko Bluetooth remote controller - now with Gestures

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Sat Sep 6 20:15:58 CEST 2008

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 04.09.2008, 18:28 +0100 schrieb Valerio Valerio:

> 2008/9/4 Joachim Breitner <nomeata at debian.org>
>          * What exactly is the server for? It seems it listens on a
>         tcp socket
>         for commands, which is connected by the UI to send the events
>         over
>         bluetooth. Why don't you bind to the 127.0.0.1 IP address? Why
>         don't you
>         use dbus for that?
> The server handles all the HID communications, is like a bridge for
> the client UI, I use a unix socket because the BlueZ devs recommend it
> to me, besides a dbus interface will be slower, because in the mouse
> profile I have to send every small movement (pixel by pixel).

Ok, I got your program working (a bit, Debian users see [1]), and now I
understand what you need the remoko-server for: It’s not something that
runs permanently, or as a system daemon, but it’s a helper that you run
to do stuff you can’t do in python, right?

To avoid having different packages for that, and possibly opening
security holes by using TCP, I’d recommend to pack that functionality in
a C file and include that in your python process using cython. This is
what the zhone developers did to do some stuff that python can’t
(modifying X window atoms).

> Yes, I already made more code, but right now I don't have time and
> concentration until I finish my last exam (16 Set)  :(

Is this code in the subversion? If not, you run the risk that other
people will start to hack on the older, published code which will cause
troubles when merging.

Greetings,
Joachim

[1] hmpf, http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/smartphones-userland/ is
down, but it’s the mail with subject “Bluetooth and remoko experience”
--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer